Joining {my}dentist as an overseas dentist or non-UK qualified dentist

Whether you’re based overseas or have recently moved to the UK and are now looking to register with the General Dental Council (GDC), if you’re an ambitious and talented dentist, we want you on our team. We’ve worked closely with hundreds of overseas and non-UK qualified clinicians to get them set up in the UK as part of our leading dental network.

We’ll support you with everything from relocation to registration, leveraging your skills and getting you to the right place to treat patients at one of our modern practices across the UK.

Can I work in the UK as an overseas dentist?

Dentists in the UK must be registered with the General Dental Council to practice in the UK.

If you qualified in the European Economic Area (EEA), your dental qualification will be recognised automatically until the end of December 2022, allowing you to easily register with the GDC. If you are from outside the EEA, you will need to complete the Overseas Registration Exam (ORE) or Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS) examination. Other routes may also be available depending on your circumstances. To find out more, click here.

You must provide evidence that you have the necessary knowledge of English with your application. This is usually an IELTS Academic certificate that is less than 2 years old and that meets the requirements set out in the GDC Guidance. We see a high number of clinicians pass this exam every year, and it should be possible with the English you learnt at school and a bit of studying. You can often find IELTS exams to practice online or enrol on a course with International House or British Council to help you prepare for IELTS.

Once registered with the GDC, you will be able to practise dentistry in the UK on a private basis. To deliver NHS dentistry, you will need what is known as a performer number. In England and Wales, dentists who qualified outside the UK can apply for a performer number and this will be considered by one of the local NHS teams. You are likely to have to undertake a paid mentorship as part of this process, but we can support you through every stage of this process and help you provide the information that is needed.

In Scotland, all overseas dentists will need to complete mandatory training and pass a test of knowledge to deliver NHS dentistry.

As soon as you are regsitered with the GDC, we can help find a surgery for you to provide private treatments. And once you have a performer number, we can support you with opportunities as either a private or NHS dentist. You’ll also have a {my}dentist mentor, on hand to provide advice and support.

Our hiring process

For answers to any other questions you might have, visit our FAQs page, or get in touch with our Resourcing team.

Why become a dentist in the UK?