Dentist Jobs in UK

Joining {my}dentist as an overseas dentist or non-UK qualified Dentist

If you are an ambitious and talented dentist with qualifications from outside the UK we want you on our team. We have worked closely with hundreds of overseas and non-UK qualified clinicians to get them set up in the UK as part of our leading dental network.

We’ll support you every step of the way and find you a position at one of our modern practices across the UK.

Check out UK Dentist jobs at {my}dentist

Can I work in the UK as an overseas Dentist?

Dentists in the UK must be registered with the General Dental Council (GDC) to practise in the UK.

If you qualified in the European Economic Area (EEA), your dental qualification will be recognised automatically until the end of December 2022, allowing you to easily register with the GDC. If you are from outside the EEA, you will need to complete the Overseas Registration Exam (ORE) or Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS) examination. Other routes may also be available depending on your circumstances. To find out more, see the GDC route to registration.

You must provide evidence that you have the necessary knowledge of English with your application. This is usually an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic certificate that is less than two years old and that meets the requirements set out in the GDC Guidance. You can often find IELTS exams to practise online or enrol on a course with International House or British Council to help you prepare for IELTS.

Once registered with the GDC, you will be able to practise dentistry in the UK on a private basis. To deliver NHS dentistry, you will need what is known as a performer number. In England and Wales, dentists who qualified outside the UK can apply for a performer number and this will be considered by one of the local NHS teams. You are likely to have to undertake a mentorship as part of this process, but we can support you through every stage of this process.

In Scotland, all overseas dentists will need to complete mandatory training and pass a test of knowledge to deliver NHS dentistry.

As soon as you are registered with the GDC, we can help find a surgery for you to provide private treatments. And once you have a performer number, we can also support you with opportunities as an NHS dentist. You’ll also have a {my}dentist mentor, on hand to provide advice and support.

Why become a dentist in the UK


There are millions of patients both NHS and private across the country who need high-quality dental care. We’re always looking for skilled clinicians to provide that care.

Competitive pay

Most dentists in the UK are self-employed and can earn around £70,000. Private dentists and specialist clinicians can expect to earn even more.


Dentists have incredible flexibility when it comes to their schedules, and you can choose between treating NHS patients, private customers, or a mix of both.

Grow your private base

You’ll have access to the training, investment, and support you need to grow a private base that works for you. We aim to support all our clinicians to allow them to work the way they want, and always do our best to ensure all dentists feel secure in their role and able to focus on the areas of dentistry that matters most to them.

Overseas Dentists frequently asked questions

Learn everything you need to know about becoming a dentist at {my}dentist and what the job entails.

What is an overseas dentist?

Anyone holding a dentistry degree from outside of the UK.

What are the requirements to practise dentistry in the UK?

Dentists must be registered with the GDC to practise in the UK. With a GDC registration you can work as a private dentist. If you also want to work as an NHS dentist you will require a ‘performer number’. The process varies depending on where in the UK you want to work, but we can help you.

What support will I have to practise dentistry in the UK?

All overseas qualified dentists will work with a mentor when they first start in the UK. The mentor is on hand to provide advice on how to be a dentist in the UK such as treatment planning, procedures and regulations. {my}dentist has the largest network of clinicians in the UK with more than 3,000 dentists so there is always someone to ask for advice.

How difficult is it for an overseas dentist to get a job in the UK?

With a growing population constantly in need of dental work, dentists are in high demand. No matter where you’re from, if you’ve got the skills and ability to provide high-quality dental care, you could move to and work in the UK.

Dentists in the UK are regulated by the General Dental Council (GDC), and you must be registered and licenced with them to practise.

Are there any other registration options?

Dentists from outside the EEA are able to register with the GDC as a hygienist or therapist – also known as a Dental Care Professional (DCP). No additional exams or certificates are required, and the registration is done online. Find more details on this here. While working as a hygienist or therapist you can continue to study for the ORE.

Alternatively, you can study for a UK qualification that will allow international students with a primary dental qualification from outside the EEA to register with the GDC. This involves 18 months of full time learning at the University of Central Lancashire.

What are the job options after registering with the GDC?

Once you have registered as a dentist then {my}dentist can provide you with job opportunities as either a private dentist or NHS dentist.

As an NHS dentist you can still provide private treatments. Find out how we support clinicians to grow private careers here.

What is the average income of a dentist?

The average income for experienced dentists in the UK is around £70,000 but specialist dentists can expect to earn much more than this. Speak to a recruiter to find out more.

Want to know more?

Take a look at the recruitment process for our Support Centre

Recruitment process

Want to keep updated with the latest roles in {my}dentist?